Grout on newly installed tile crumbling

Old 10-02-16, 11:48 PM
Grout on newly installed tile crumbling

We had long planks of porcelain wood-look tile installed in our kitchen, dining room and bedroom. Some areas have significant lippage which I've given up worrying about. Our bedroom had lots of creaking planks which the contractor attributed to the fact that we discovered that there's a huge uninsulated crawl space underneath the bedroom. They've most been repaired...at least for now.

What bothers me is that many areas that were just grouted a few days ago have crumbling grout. It's not cracking....it's crumbling and falling out. I come away with grout if I lightly run a paper towel over some areas and am constantly sweeping grout up.

I know the contractor laid a metal lath over my plywoid floor and covered the mesh with what looked like cement - maybe Versabond- before tiling. Not sure what he used when he was laying the tile - looked like cement (will try to attach pic of the materials we bought). The grout is sanded.

The contractor is still here working so I want to address this with him. Why could the grout be crumbling so quickly? I've had grout in my bathrooms that was done 4 years ago and hasn't budged...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-16, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Using lath over subflooring is probably the most labor intensive and antiquated way of laying tile. We don't know where you are located because your profile is not completed. It may be normal where you are located. Concrete backer underlayment or a Schluter type system is the norm here. How did he ensure a flat surface using the lath and thinset? Very questionable.

Old 10-03-16, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder if the bag of grout was old or maybe mixed wrong ??

Old 10-03-16, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Something is obviously wrong if your grout comes off when wiped with a towel. It may have been mixed with too much water or it started to harden and they added more water to try and make it work. Or the grout may have been open and exposed to humid air before use. Whatever the cause, as you know, the grout is bad. The only remedy is to remove the bad grout and replace it with good.

Old 10-04-16, 12:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the grout was mixed wrong. Also, I don't think the lath/mesh method is an accepted method any more.

Old 10-04-16, 02:11 PM
"Creaking planks" as in what there before the tile went in was creaking?
An uninsulated crawl space has nothing to do the issues your stating.
Unless that floor was dead flat no way would I have used that style tile.