Advisability of grout sealant in shower stall ?

Old 10-12-16, 12:33 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advisability of grout sealant in shower stall ?

I just finished re-grouting the gaps between the marble tiles in my shower stall. It's probably not the best job ever perpetrated by human hand, but, if it holds, it's already looking a lot better than it was before.

I used white non-sanded powdered grout, made by Custom Building Products. The instructions on the box say to wait three days for the grout to cure, then to apply sealant. Apparently the sealant is supposed to resist or reduce staining in the future.

Question: do we think that the sealant is effective / necessary, or is it just a useless add-on product sold to amateurs to increase the vendor's revenue? I don't begrudge them the $5.87 + tax, but if it's pointless, i can spare myself a trip to Home Depot and finish the job sooner....

Thanks all.

Old 10-12-16, 01:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Higher end grouts are designed such that sealing is not necessary. However, the basic grout such as the one you used, sealing is desired. Double check that your product is compatible with your marble tile in addition to your grout.

Old 10-12-16, 02:08 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Will double-check per yr advice.

Old 10-12-16, 06:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That sealer you're considering is better than nothing but I'd get something better.

Grout does not just crack or come out unless there's movement. How much re grouting did you have to do? BTW, marble can and should be sealed. Consider this one; Miracle Sealants 16 oz. 511 Impregnator-511 PT SG H - The Home Depot

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: