Thinset mortar over linoluem glue and old pain

Old 10-30-16, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinset mortar over linoluem glue and old pain

I ripped old carpet and linoleum and going to put tile down on a concrete slab. Can I safely spread thinset over the old linoleum glue. We have the linoleum and paper up, but some glue residue is still there. Will this affect the mortar adhesion.

Also, what about old pain spatter, do I need to clean all this up with something like paint thinner, or will the mortar adhere to concrete if I leave the old pain.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-16, 11:21 PM
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
I suspect you know the answer, it's dependent on how much adhesive is left over. Perfect situation is to remove it all, or as much as possible, but in some cases that's impossible.

I'd try scrapping first, if that doesn't work get a grinder and big shop vac to get the worst.

Problem is if you dont have a clean sound surface for new installation you'll have a bigger problem in the future.

Old 10-31-16, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I once had a builder complain about my over spray that got on the slab next to the wall. He said the paint would prevent the tile from adhering well. The tile guy was there and came to my defense and said he had no issues with the paint but the texture and mud that littered the floor was a problem.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-31-16, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
They make special floor scraper tools and even have powered ones you can rent. I'm rather fond of an old fashioned straight hoe. Being able to scrape while standing is a lot easier on your back.

If you have a good bit of bare, clean concrete the thinset should stick. The problem on a floor is there is probably a really thin layer of glue over the concrete between the notches of the trowel they used. If you're not in a hurry I'd put thinset down on a test area and let it harden. See how hard it is to remove the test thinset and determine if you need to do more prep.