Tile over basement concrete in bathroom

Old 11-22-16, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile over basement concrete in bathroom

Quick question. Tiling a basement bathroom. Concrete slab currently. Any membrane required? I have read to use Ditra but also read that it can cause mold issues too because it holds water. But then I go and read not to use Ditra because of that and instead use red guard? That would also prevent moisture from drying downward. I'm leaning towards simple thinset and tile. The area is fairly small and a control joint is in the next room, so I feel if a crack is going to happen it will be outside the room. I think I am more concerned about moisture over cracking in this room.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-16, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Is this tile in the wet shower tub area or just on the (dry) floor?

Old 11-22-16, 11:56 AM
This is in a bathroom. I don't think I want to attempt tiling the shower pan. I will probably use a fiberglass pan for the shower. There will be water from kids in the shower and since it's a utility room I want to have the ability for the floor to get wet.

Old 11-22-16, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
If you are not using it as a shower/tub then I would not do a waterproof membrane. That's only required for a shower where it will see significant water.

Old 11-22-16, 02:21 PM
You read that Ditra holds water? Wow, it does just the opposite, as it equalizes moisture rising from below. Where did you read that?

How old is this slab, are you saying there's no cracks, not even hairline?

Jaz

Old 11-22-16, 03:00 PM
Contractor Talk was the site I read first with the discussion of Ditra and whether or not to use it.

The price is what gets me, and since it's a new product surely people did something else (cheaper) before that holds up well. From what I can tell, that's installing thinset right over the concrete.

1.5 Year old Slab, no hair line cracks (it's fiberglass reinforced) and a control joint is approximately 2' from this bathroom so I am not too worried about a giant crack.

Old 11-22-16, 06:39 PM
I'd be interested to read that thread at CT and see why and under what context he/she made that statement. A quick look there and I couldn't tell which thread it is.

Ditra is not new, first distributed in 1987. Price is not too bad considering what you get and how much labor it saves. But yes, it's 2x the alternative.

I think thinset direct to the concrete will be good enough for this little job. Unless there's something else we should know.

Jaz