micro cracks in grout (8 months old)

Old 12-07-16, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
micro cracks in grout (8 months old)

Hello,

I finished tiling my new shower about 8 months ago. Recently I noticed little micro cracks in some parts of the shower (unnoticeable unless you go looking for them). This is only in a few areas, maybe 5-10 joints on a vertical wall. Could this be shrinkage in the unsanded grout?

It is possible these have been there since day one, but I really do believe I would have noticed them. My worst fear is movement in the wall, but I am unsure how this wall would be moving. The wall is a framed wall in front of an interior brick wall. Below are some pictures. Thanks for taking a look.

-Joey

Materials:
  1. TEC ACCUCOLOR PREMIUM UNSANDED GROUT
  2. Grout Boost additive

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-16, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unsanded grout is used in 1/8" or less joints. Not sure how wide your joints are. First question out of the hole is what type backer were the tiles installed on? The grout could have been installed either too wet or too dry and did shrink.

Old 12-08-16, 11:24 AM
  1. The wall is framed 16" oc.
  2. There is a layer of plastic between the studs and the backboard (moister barrier).
  3. The backboard is Durock with screws every 8".
  4. The Durcock was fiber taped and mudded with TEC thinset
  5. The Durock was waterproofed with TEC HydraFlex

Old 12-08-16, 12:54 PM
Sure looks like sanded grout, (which would have been the correct type for that width), but if it is unsanded then the first problem is the type of grout you used. It's hard to tell how wide the joints are. Unsanded will shrink when it gets too wide. You may also have some movement, but can't tell from here.

Jaz

Old 12-25-16, 10:16 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply.

The cracks are not in every joint. They also appear in areas where the tile spacing was not top-notch and may be closer to 1/8. Say that's the case, can I simply scrape out the crack and re-grout? I think I just answered my own question. Thanks.

Old 12-25-16, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Only had that happen once when the guys mixed the grout with too much water. It made it weak and cracks showed up a couple of days later. Mine however was sanded grout and 1/4" wide grout lines.