Bathtub wall repair

Old 12-20-16, 07:15 AM
Bathtub wall repair

So, my wife slipped the other day in the shower (she is thankfully OK) and as she went down, she grabbed the grab handle and it ripped off the fiberglass wall. This exposed 6 dime-sized mounting holes (3 on each side). I tried using the product below with no success and the wall looks worse! Is there some sort of patch I could use instead? Or, am I looking at a complete replacement of my bathtub?

Aquatic Gelcoat Repair Kit in White-35RKWH - The Home Depot

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-16, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
What is your tub/surround made of? Some are gel coated fiberglass and can be repaired with the proper materials and skill. If your surround is plastic (usually ABS) repair is much more difficult. In your case it might be easier to get some stainless steel, brass or aluminum sheet metal panels to cover the holes and act as a backer plate to re-install a grab handle.

Old 01-23-17, 12:01 AM
I assume the screws you mentioned were simply installed into the panel and stripped out when force was applied?

The kit you have looks like something intended to fix a chip, not to repair a structural defect.

The problem is that grab handles need a really secure mounting, like into the wall studs to be useful when needed.