Logistics of tiling an entire house

Old 12-30-16, 09:38 AM
Logistics of tiling an entire house

I would like to replace all the flooring in our house with with wood look ceramic tiles but I'm not sure if this can or should be done in segments or all at once. How do you tile a house you need to live in?

We live in a small 4 bedroom rectangular ranch house. Entry leads to the living room with kitchen on the right. Narrow hallway off the left of the living room leads to the bedrooms and bathroom. Can we tile in stages?

Also, next year we would also like to remodel the kitchen but can't afford to do so at the moment but the footprint should be the same. Should we tile up to the current cabinets or leave a gap along the edge? The kitchen is open to the living room so the flooring is tied together

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-16, 10:46 AM
I would do all the tear out of the old flooring, trim, etc. at once. Make a big mess, clean it up once, and get on with life.

The actual tiling can be done in smaller sections, once room at a time or less if needed, as long as you plan the layout for the whole space first, so you get the layout to match up where it needs to.

Your first concern should be determining if you have adequate subfloor for ceramic tile, since it requires more stiffness and better support than other types of flooring so it wont crack or come loose from the subfloor deflecting.

Regarding the kitchen...I suggest you wait to put new flooring in there until your kitchen remodel is completed. It may be a pain living with a bare subfloor for a year, but it's a lot better than having to tear up new tile because you decided to/were forced to make a layout change during the remodel.

Old 12-30-16, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
I think Paul steered you right. The next question should be what's the size, species, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists in each room and what's the composition of the subfloor?

Old 12-30-16, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We did an older house in customer specified wood grained tile. It really looked good after it was all done and the trim was painted. I found that the planks don't always line up equally on some edges, but it added to the decor the client was looking for.

Name:  Kathy BRown 6.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 12-30-16, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You stagger the plank tiles so doing it piece meal may be problematic as a continuous lay. Not sure where you are from so don't know if you are on a slab or crawl or basement.