Tile to edge of drywall under vanity

Old 12-31-16, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile to edge of drywall under vanity

I am laying tile to fill in the exposed sub floor left behind from the footprint of our old vanity. I have read advice to keep 1/4" gap between tile edge and wall. My concern is that the rear of the vanity needs to be installed flush with the wall and the backing that will rest on the floor is only just over 1/2".
Name:  2016-12-31 12.03.03.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  28.5 KB

Please see the attached images of how I have laid the 1/4" wonderboard (its already fixed in place). Ideally I would like tile to the edge of the wall. I believe I made a mistake not bringing the wonderboard closer to the wall.
Name:  2016-12-31 12.03.39.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  34.8 KB

Is it better to take the tile 1/4" to the wall (using extra mortar to fill in space left by wonderboard gap) and then use a caulk to fill in the gap between the tile and wall?

or

Leave the exposed sub floor and use shims to level the back of the vanity?

or

Something else?

Thanks in advance. This was supposed to be a Christmas surprise for the wife and now several days behind schedule!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-16, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What's the end goal here - is another vanity going over the top of this? If so, I would consider putting a piece of plywood in to match height instead of tile no one is going to see. If you tile, I would need (due to my many neuroses) to remove all of the one with cuts and replace with full tiles.

Old 12-31-16, 12:04 PM
You can just fill the gap with grout, it will never be seen.

Cabinets and vanities should be shimmed at the side panels, the front and back are the weakest points. The back doesn't require any support IMO.

Old 12-31-16, 12:15 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
The 1/4" gap is just a basic gauge since you typ will then have some base or qtr round molding to cover the edge.

Even if you subfloor is at an inch bringing the tile up to the 1/4 mark is no issue, nobody will ever walk on that edge. You can fill with mortar as mentioned.

If you are not installing a new vanity are you taking out the existing cut tiles and replacing them?

Old 12-31-16, 01:15 PM
Name:  2016-12-31 15.09.51.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  36.5 KB

In regards to taking out the cut tiles - I suppose I have an acceptance for abstract art because the new vanity will cover nearly 100% of the makeshift tile work. Just 3" under the toe will be exposed from the new grout line. And the sliver on the left side (bottom of image) will be covered by the footing as well.

Old 12-31-16, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about back wall. I'm having fun with my $20 tile "cutter" so I may as well bring the tile back to 1/4" from the wall and fill in the gap down to the sub floor with mortar.

Any advice for how to clip off 1/8" of the molding? See the image below - I need to make room for the edge of the vanity against the wall.Name:  2016-12-30 09.06.03.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 01-01-17, 07:32 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Well, not exactly how I would have completed the task but to each their own.

If you are going to place the new tiles as in the first picture you are done, you dont need anything in the back as the vanity will sit on the new front tile and the existing tile on the side.

Once you secure the vanity to the wall studs it wont be going anywhere.

As far as trimming the molding:

First option, remove from wall and trim. If you had a variable oscillating saw you could trim on the wall, or if you had a flush cut saw that might work.

Really sharp wood chisel might work but might not look so neat!