In-floor heating options for poured floor

Old 01-08-17, 10:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In-floor heating options for poured floor

My house plan does not have a 'basement' in the sense that there are any floors below grade. Walk-in is at the lowest level, and a flight up is to the main living rooms (kitchen, dining, living, etc).

Ground floor is fully finished as an in-law suite with carpeted living room, stick-down vinyl floor in kitchen and batch, and then a raised solid oak for the bedroom.

All of these coverings are over essentially the poured foundation, and in the winter it is cold. The bedroom is helped by the wood being raised, but I don't like carpets or stick down flooring, and will be doing an entire renovation down there. I am seriously considering a poured epoxy for the entire surface uup to the point where the hardwood starts. I'd like to just refinish and keep the oak plank.

I am wondering if there are any new In-floor heating options that I am not aware of that I can consider, other than piping (hot water). I'd rather not raise the floor that high. I have not done an extensive investigation, but it looks like most of the roll-out electric pads for flooring heat can't be poured over, and are designed for a floating click flooring.

I'd like to roll out a heating pad, have it wired into the breaker and pour a floor over it. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Apologies if this was the wrong sub-forum, please feel free to move this to wherever it might receive the best visibility.

Thanks,

Old 01-08-17, 12:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is your house modern/industrial style? I have poured high gloss epoxy in a hangar and rolled matt epoxy in a garage. Neither is what I would consider traditional residential flooring. So make sure it's a look you really want. It's not like carpet, vinyl or many other floorings that can be easily replaced when your taste changes.

Also, if you think a poured epoxy is low maintenance it is and it isn't. While poured high gloss epoxy is technically a low maintenance material it takes a surprising amount of cleaning to keep it looking good. That perfect, mirror smooth finish shows every bit of dirt and dust.

Old 01-08-17, 02:07 PM
Pored epoxy floors do not necessarily need to be high gloss, and I am considering it as an option after seeing the wide range of looks and finish options available. And, it wouldnt be difficult to put down a floating click floor over top of it if someone wanted to.

Regardless, looking for heating options, not aesthetic ones.

Old 01-08-17, 02:18 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The other side of heating is "how much insulation is under the current floor?" A slab foundation is a northern climate should have been built with extensive insulation efforts. If not, then perimeter insulation may be an option. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with option you are asking about, I just don't work in that area.

Bud

Old 01-08-17, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
There are many under floor heating systems out there, other then hydronic, but none will work with a painted on floor which epoxy would be. You could do it if you were to spread a layer of gypcrete or similar coating. All of them would be quite expensive to install as they are all electric, but IMO it is worth it! There are some that are a thin film that you can install under a floating type floor and even hardwood flooring.

Old 01-08-17, 06:50 PM
So, there is an option if I cover it with light concrete before the epoxy? I'd be interesed in looking into it: have any links?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: