How to fill gap between tiles?

Old 01-28-17, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fill gap between tiles?

In my bathroom, I have some gaps that have developed.

These gaps exist between tiles that are on the floor as well as between tiles where the floor and the wall touch. I have attached a picture to give a better idea.

Could someone please tell me what is the best way to fill these gaps and what material should I use?

Thank you

Name:  tile-screenshot.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  11.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Grout between the tiles. Caulk between the wall and tile.

Old 01-28-17, 10:10 PM
@ray2047

Thank you for your response. I'm just curious, why would you suggest caulk for the gaps between the wall and the floor rather than grout? After you suggested caulk, I had a second look at the picture that I attached and doesn't it look like there is grout instead of caulk?

Thank you

Old 01-29-17, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Whenever tile has a right angle like that, grout it prone to fail so caulk is used. Tile stores generally sell caulks that match the grout.

Old 01-29-17, 03:59 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Your walls and floors are pretty stiff but there can be movement between the two that will crack the grout.

You can try and maybe nothing will happen but if it cracks you will have to dig it out.

Only concern I have with the caulk is that it's usually a slightly different color just due to the variations you get with grout but that is getting really nit picking!

Old 01-29-17, 07:07 PM
Thank you all, I will pick up some caulk to complete this work.

A couple of follow up questions:

1. More for my own knowledge, is there any risk of damage if the gap wasn't filled?

2. Is there a way to get the hardware store to exactly match the colour of caulk with what is between the two tiles currently? Perhaps with a picture?

3. In terms of doing the job, should I just caulk the gap or should I go from one wall to the other, covering the old grout and the gap with new caulk?

Thank you

Old 01-29-17, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Chip out a piece of grout and take it with you to tile stores and box stores to get a color match. The hardware store will no be any help. Colored caulk is premixed in a tube and not custom blended to match. Tile stores are your best bet. Caulk everywhere there is a change in plane.

Old 01-30-17, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had paint stores custom mix caulk but I doubt they'd do that just for one tube .... or a none pro customer. Plus the caulk that matches the grout often has a bit of grain to it so it better blends in as opposed to smooth caulk. You'll find the best selection of grout matched caulk at the tile store.

Old 01-30-17, 09:01 AM
@czizzi what does it mean when you say "caulk everywhere there is a change in plane"?

Old 01-30-17, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where ever the wall [or whatever] changes direction - like in a corner or wall meets the floor/ceiling.

Old 01-30-17, 10:01 AM
@marksr, ok thanks for clarifying.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right. I will caulk from one side of the wall to the other. The gap is about half the length of the wall and the other half still has grout.

Should I caulk over the grout or remove the grout first?

Old 01-30-17, 10:18 AM
I would remove the grout first since when you move from a non grouted area to a grouted area, the bead of caulk that you put down could have different profiles.

Old 01-30-17, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it's always best to remove the grout, doesn't have to be perfect but you want the caulk to bond to both tiles.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right
No problem, we'd rather answer extra questions and have you do a good job than for you to mess it up and have to figure out how to fix it

Old 01-30-17, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You can use masking tape on both sides of the caulk bead to be able to pull a straight line easily without a lot of mess. It will also allow you to force caulk into the void for a good seal.

Old 01-30-17, 04:07 PM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Is there a way to get the hardware store to exactly match the colour of caulk
Don't waste your money, I've attempted that route several times at different stores, total failure.

Just look at the different colors that all the hardware/paint/BB stores have and pick the closest.

At least it will be consistent between tubes!

Old 01-30-17, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
I have always wondered what would happen if you mixed unsanded grout of the correct color with clear latex caulk. This article seems to say it would work. http://www.familyhandyman.com/tiling...olors/view-all

Old 01-31-17, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder how much grout it would take to color the caulk? I'd feel better using caulk that hadn't been modified with another product - less worry about it failing. I assume when we had the paint store mix up multiple cases of custom tinted caulk that they used the same tint that is used with paint. I had forgotten about the self loading caulk guns which is what I'd use if I had to apply a site mixed caulk. Somewhere in my shop I have one of those type guns hanging up although I's sure it's been over 20 yrs since it's been used.

Old 01-31-17, 11:25 AM
Just one last question and this is more for my own knowledge than anything:

Is there a risk of damage to the tile or something else happening if this gap was not filled?

Old 01-31-17, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Not filling the gap can allow water to migrate undenetah the tiles. Might loosen them, might rot the floor.