surface prep for tile

Old 04-27-01, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

O.K., I know that you can put ceramic tile down over a subfloor of plywood (or cementboard or both). I thought that plywood was what was under the carpet in our bath, but pulled the carpet back to find hardwood flooring! Why hardwood? Well, apparently this "bath" used to be part of a bedroom before a major renovation moved the walls, making new rooms.

Anyway, can I put ceramic over the hardwood or would I be better off taking up the hardwood and putting down cementboard or plywood and then putting down the tile?

Thanks for the advice,
Al

P.S. You may wonder why I don't just keep the hardwood flooring. Well part of the room has vinyl over plywood and I'd rather just have one flooring surface instead of hardwood AND tile.

Old 04-27-01, 07:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Greetings Al,

I can understand your concern about having too many different types of flooring, but you could lay 1/4 in. cement backer board over the hardwood and then install the tile. Yes, it'll raise the floor a little, but you can handle the transition with a reducer strip, and/or . . .

I would think long and hard before tearing out the wood floor.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 05-03-01, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
John, thanks for the insight. Some folks are talking about using plywood instead of the cement backerboard. What are your feelings about this? Also, do you recommend nails or screws to secure the cementboard after putting it down with thinset?

Al

Old 05-03-01, 05:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, the cement board is actually going to be more stable than plywood. I like Hardi-backer.

Nails work. Screws are hard to do.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: