Tile over vinyl roll in walls

Old 04-16-17, 01:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile over vinyl roll in walls

I was planning to add tile in the bathroom, surrounding the tub area, this will be my first tiling project. I'm good at diy, but the bathroom have old vinyl (textured vinyl) glued with cement glue (not vinyl glue) in all the walls. Under 2 of the tub walls is fiber cement, which I'm pretty sure have asbestos because is an 80's house (which are prohibited from 2001 in new constructions), in the third wall is just naked brick, not insulation, just brick (older houses here don't have any insulation).

What should I do it?, I don't want to change the fiber cement because that will be a HUGE problem and expensive (really, really expensive). Should I tile over the vinyl (which is UGLY but in good condition, except close to the tub)?, or should I install some kind of board over the vinyl?, I tried to find a membrane of some kind but couldn't find any similar product (the only thing I found is insulation wrap that come in huge rolls which is highly impractical in this case).

thanks

Old 04-16-17, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
NOTE: OP is located in Chile

Welcome to the forums! Since we are a primarily North American based forum, some of our answers may or may not conform to the customs of your area, so hang in there with us. We'll try to help. I would certainly be of benefit to us if we could see what you see. Your description is far off the beaten path of what we normally see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-16-17, 04:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do not tile over vinyl, that is an accident waiting to happen. Figure a way to remove the vinyl and let us look at what you have underneath and go from there.

Old 04-16-17, 04:46 PM
D
Pretty sure I can't remove the vinyl without destroy the fiber cement, which have asbestos, I tried in the kitchen (wich have wallpaper not vinyl) and get this, which is a hole that now I covered with plastic

Name:  20170416_202330.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  33.1 KB

I was thinking of buying a kerdi membrane on Ebay, maybe should work.

If I remove the vinyl I should contract a company that remove asbestos (which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist in this city and I know there are expensive), then change the walls, then insulate and waterproof the brick wall. I don't have the budget and couldn't anyway because is the only bathroom in the house!

The vinyl is not original, was added by the previous owner and was glued by old contact cement glue.

"Professional" tilers here are not professional at all, I know how they work, for that reason I'm doing all the house renovation by myself (with the help of my dad).

Old 04-16-17, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the picture, but that is a limited one. Anyway we could get several pictures that are not close up? Say of the walls over the tub, including where they land on the tub? Thanks.

Old 04-16-17, 06:32 PM
D
That hole is in the kitchen for trying to remove wallpaper, is an example about why I can't remove the vinyl, can't, way too risky and expensive.

This is the vinyl, is an old school, ugly, really thick textured vinyl (early 80's), glued to, the only damaged part is in the brick wall part because the cement that seal the tub it fell some time ago and some damage along the windows caused by the window installers (window which I need to change too!).

Please excuse the ugly ugly bathroom, I need to change the faucets and refinish the tub, among other things:
Name:  20170416_220715.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  36.0 KBName:  one.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  50.5 KBName:  20170416_220656.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.0 KB

Old 04-16-17, 06:56 PM
If it wasn't "ugly", you wouldn't want to do anything with it. We've seen worse, believe me. The asbestos we encountered here in the US is friable, meaning the dust created by grinding it shouldn't be inhaled. If you take good precautions (mask, gloves, glasses) and avoid breaking it into small pieces, and keeping it moist, you can remove all the walls, giving you a new palate to deal with, and making it much easier to change the control valve, shower head and give yourself a good tiled area.

Old 04-16-17, 08:29 PM
D
Thanks, yes, I think I will wait to tackle this project, will be winter soon and I don't think will be a good time to re do the walls!.

I will return later this year, after winter with more questions, meanwhile I will hoard materials

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: