Seal or Silicone grouted corners of shower first

Old 05-05-17, 05:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seal or Silicone grouted corners of shower first

I re-grouted my shower. Next I would like to apply clear silicone to the corners. Should one seal the grout first and then silicone OR silicone the corners first, then seal all the remaining grout?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-17, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The corners should have silicone or color matched caulking instead of grout.

Old 05-05-17, 07:09 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I may be wrong, but when I did my bath remodel, I grouted the corners and only siliconed the tub area as it meets the tile. I have never run into a problem. It looks and is sealed as good as the day it was installed. Professional tile installers told me that was proper.

Old 05-05-17, 07:26 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I ask, because the original builder / tiler did it that way. Silicone in wall corners, also where wall meets floor, and where tile meets glass enclosure.

That is what precipitated this project, mold growing under silicone after about 10yrs. ( especially where the walls meet the floor.)

Thanks!

Old 05-05-17, 07:52 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Anytime tile changes direction, or meets a different material caulking should be used, not grout.
You should not be caulking over the grout.

Old 05-05-17, 08:08 AM
Guy's, I have had silicone turn orange and moldy. It cannot be cleaned and must be removed and replaced. I have my original shower (ceramic tile floor to ceiling) as installed by the builder, all grouted, only calked at the base, and although it has gotten on occasion moldy , it can be cleaned. But I have had to replace the silicone on several occasions. It has survived for over forty years. I did my bath remodel the same way and am completely satisfied. It may be wrong by conventional standards but in this case I will continue to use my method because it has proven to work.

Old 05-05-17, 08:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
mold growing under silicone after about 10yrs
Two general rules, when the planes of tile change it is recommended to use caulk due to movement, grout can crack so a color matched caulk helps.

Second, need to stop using Silicon in showers, it is old tech and the new siliconized latex caulks with microban will greatly help eliminate the growth of mold under the caulk.

Grout is porous, water will get in and under the caulk.

Old 05-05-17, 08:29 AM
Marq,

Understood and since I am in the home center and maintenance business I will in fact advise my customers in accordance with the current standards and recommend siliconized latex caulk as you mentioned. Good points.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: