How to remove a high spot in sheet rock

Old 05-19-17, 04:39 AM
How to remove a high spot in sheet rock

I'm tiling a backsplash and there is one part of the painted sheetrock wall that bumps out slightly vertically along one of the studs its attached to. When I put a tile centered over the high spot it rocks and doesnt sit flush on the sheet rock.

Looking for ways to knock down this high spot. Should I take an orbital sander to it? If so what do I do with the exposed sheetrock?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is causing the high spot? If it's just joint compound, that can be sanded down but if it's the drywall itself - that won't sand well and it would be better to float the high area out further to lessen it's impact.

Some unevenness can be rectified with the thinset.

Old 05-19-17, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
You don't want to sand through the paper of the sheetrock as that is where it get most of it's strength. If the high spot can't be sanded down then you I like to build up a reasonable amount with thinset. I'll spread the thinset thinner over the high spot and press and wiggle the tiles to get them to squish in deeper and where I need to build up I'll skim a coat of thinset then float the notched trowel on top to create more thickness.

Old 05-19-17, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need to back butter the tiles in that area and change the abrupt high spot into a gradual rise and then fall to get back to normal. Will involve adjustments on either side of the offending stud. If you have already started laying tile, may want to remove and use the high spot as a starting point so you can feather out in each direction from there.

Old 05-19-17, 07:39 PM
The high spot is from the sheetrock that is attached to a stud which sticks out further than the surrounding ones.