Laying ceramic tile on old wood sub-floor?

Old 05-24-17, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laying ceramic tile on old wood sub-floor?

I ripped up all the existing tile, it was small tiles that I had to chisel up. There is quite a bit of thinset that is bonded to the wood floor and its impossible to get it all up. If I try and chisel it all off I end up ripping up the wood and making it worse.
I think the wood sub floor is sitting on another older piece of sub floor but i'm not sure.
What are my options here?
- put cement board over it (do i need to put waterproof membrane?) and then tile it? If I do this the bathroom floor will be slightly higher then the hallway floor.
- Can I use self leveler on the wood subfloor and then tile over it? it would probably be the ideal height.
- Do I chance ripping up the subfloor and doing cement board and then tile?
Am I missing any other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-17, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will need to achieve a reasonably flat floor for the tile. You could use Ditra for the uncoupling membrane and keep the rise in the floor to a minimum, as opposed to using 1/4" Durock or similar.

You really need to find out the layering of your subfloor. If you have a floor register, it will help you see the layering without any damage. If not, you can drill a 1" hole in the floor and visually see the layers. CBU and tile will cover over it later. Let us know what you have.

Old 05-25-17, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
If I do this the bathroom floor will be slightly higher then the hallway floor
This is the last thing you should be worried about if you want a lasting tile job. As Chandler said, we really need to know what the layers of the subfloor are plus the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists.