Transition between wood and tile flooring

Old 06-11-17, 10:05 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transition between wood and tile flooring

Hi,

I am almost finished having a new wood floor installed next to a tiled kitchen floor. I think that either my contractor may not have through the transition because ther is a significant difference in height between the two.

I would appreciate your advice on whether the contractor should have done this differently and/or what i can do to improve the transition. Please see the attachments for details.

Thank you again for all or the great advice on this forum!

Attached Images   
Old 06-11-17, 12:06 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Here is the transition piece you are looking for. They sell an unfinished oak one at the big orange store. I think it is located either in the flooring or tile dept. In a tube located attached to the shelvings vertical in orientation.

Name:  tile molding.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  7.7 KB

What type of flooring, how was it installed (nail or float) and what are the manufacturer recommendations for expansion gaps. Tight to the tile may cause issues with expansion and contraction.

Old 06-11-17, 02:09 PM
H
The flooring is engineered wood. It is glue down on top of a rubber layer. Thank you

Old 08-07-17, 04:43 PM
J
Yikes. Im not a flooring pro, but have done a few wood and floating laminate floors DIY all that up against a fireplace. There needs to be a transition piece IMO, to have a finished look. You never want to see exposed caulk on a vertical surface, especially not smoothed as that is. They make lots of transition pieces that work. There are lots of choices and since this isnt a heavily trafficked area around a hearth, you can use pretty much anything without stressjng about which is perfect. Pick the one that is you aesthetic preference. Ive used UChannel ones that screwed into the wood portion (not below the woodinto subfloor), then snapped into place so no screws are visible from above. You can even glue some down to the hearth or wood, since it appears no expansion gap was allowed for anyway. You can even choose transition tile that matches your hearth. Again, I'm no expert so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Old 08-07-17, 05:30 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
You never want to see exposed caulk on a vertical surface
The first picture around the fireplace doesn't look to bad but that second picture is worst. A minimal amount of correct color caulk is acceptable.

Personally transition pieces are krapy looking also so it;s the least of two evils!

Old 08-07-17, 06:20 PM
J
What is the height difference between the top of the tile and the top of the floor in each picture?

Old 08-08-17, 06:22 AM
J
This may be bad netiquette in my part as the OP may be long finiahed with the project. I am new here, saw a thread at the top of the subforum and replied. Its already 2 months old. The forum doesnt get as much traffic as I thought, I'll need to watch my replies a bit more carefully.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: