Gap between accent wall tile and drywall

Old 06-12-17, 01:44 PM
Gap between accent wall tile and drywall

Just got an accent wall tiled in a powder room. Tiling looks great; however, it made obvious how unsquare the wall is. At some places where the tile meets the wall, there is basically no gap. At other places, there is up to 1/4 inch of gap between the end of the tile and the wall. And yes, the tile is nice and straight.

Initially I was just going to caulk around the boarder and paint the same color as the wall; however, 1/4 seems too large to just caulk.

Any suggestions how to handle where the wall meets the tile?

Thank you in advance.

Name:  IMG_1257.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  35.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-17, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
If the tile is straight, mask a straight line on the tile and float the wall out to meet it with joint compound. Depending on how thick it is, you may want to float it with a 6, 8, 10, or 12" knife, depending.

Sand, prime and paint... then caulk the now straight transition with matching grout caulk.

Old 06-12-17, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glass bead molding is a very thin piece of wood trim that would be non-obtrusive and finish off the area nicely. Stain it to match the surroundings.

Old 06-12-17, 04:42 PM
I'd go with your original thought, tape off the tile, caulk, paint. You're focused on the gap now but when filled and painted it will be a distant memory.

Old 06-13-17, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While the other 2 fixes are better, I agree with Marq. Couldn't count the times I've caulked similar gaps and once painted nobody noticed.