ceramic tile over particle board

Old 05-02-01, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
the floor in my laundry room is 3/4 plywood overlayed with 1/2 particle board and covered with vinyl linoleum. my wife wants to install ceramic tile. After I remove the linoleum and clean the particle board to get a smooth surface ,can I seal it with acrylic mortor admix and install the tile with Flexbond or Custom blend thin set ?Would another type of adhesive be better ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

There is nothing you can do to particle board that will make it suitable for ceramic tile. The stuff is bad news. One leak from your laundry and the board will swell up and all your tile will come loose. If you can't remove it, at least cover it with 1/4 inch ceramic tile backer board, and hope for the best....but you'd be better off taking it out and replacing it with 1/2 inch backer board. Your choie of thin set was good though.

Old 05-02-01, 06:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, I agree..Particle board is out for tile underlayment.

I would probably tear it out and use a 1/2" backer board or even 1/2" plywood so the door threshhold remains the same.

I prefer the plywood because it's easier for me to work with but you need to "Glue and Screw" it over the 3/4" plywood subfloor and stagger the seams so the 1/2" plywood seams do not line up over the seams in the 3/4" subfloor. I use 1-1/4" drywall screws and drive the head so they dimple the 1/2" plywood and then spackle the dimples with the thinset before applying the thinset/tile finish floor.