Ditra - Cement backerboard unusual old house

Old 07-28-17, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ditra - Cement backerboard unusual old house

Help!
I have a strange setup I'm uncertain how to proceed. I was trying to determine which material to use between these two. Naturally I have been researching both, I see most people highly recommend Ditra over Cementboard. I'm still at a loss because I think my setup is unusual.
I've got 2x6 joists with non standard spacing. They are between 18" and 20" centers. On top is a tung and grove plank floor. The house is 100+yrs old. I currently have a laminate wood floor overtop. I'd like to tile it.

I'm planning to add blocking to the joists to help with the substandard spacing. I am unable to sister or add joists easily because I've got all kinds of plumbing and electrical running through and under the joists and floor. I think blocking is the best option. Then I plan to add 3/8" ply subfloor and I'm leaning towards the Ditra. It is a small space I plan to tile. The room itself is 10x12 but with cabinets it's probably 100 sq ft.

I also considered the newer snapstone tile as an alternative option, but that appears to be rather expensive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first tile job and I really don't want to screw it up.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-17, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What's the unsupported span of the joists?

Old 07-28-17, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Use this calculator to see if your joist set up will support tile. My guess is that it will not.

The Amazing John Bridge Forums Deflect-O-Lator :-)

Should you choose to move forward despite, minimum 3/4" not 3/8" underlayment. Remember, there is both deflection from the joists themselves and deflection of the subfloor between the joists. 3/8" will add nothing to the mix.