Porcelain Tile Mortar on Ceramic Soap Shelf???

Old 08-14-17, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porcelain Tile Mortar on Ceramic Soap Shelf???

I am in the process of redoing a tile shower. It struck me in the middle of the night that I am using porcelain mortar for my porcelain tile, but I bought ceramic soap dish and corner shelf.

Can the same mortar be used or do I need to use ceramic mortar behind those ceramic pieces?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-17, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You should be fine with what you have. Make sure to put in a ton of mortar and let it squeeze out as you push it into place wiping away the excess as you go. Do not let the excess mortar set up, use a sponge and water if needed to remove it right away. I usually also back butter the item and make sure mortar squeezes into the holes in the back to give it some extra grab. Your corner shelf will be held by gravity to some extent. Then use lots of tape to hold the dish in place overnight while the mortar cures. I make like a sling with 2 feet long pieces of tape that I tape to the wall, stretch over the item and attaches to the underside. Make sure you properly slope these items so they don't collect standing water and will drain.

Old 08-14-17, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you czizzi. I will do that as I don't want them popping off after waiting 2 weeks to get this shower done!

Do I push the shelf straight to the backer board as I push out the excess, or should there be a thin mortar bed between the backer and shelf?

Old 08-15-17, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I usually smear a small amount of thinset with my fingers or a thin trowel on the backer board so I know that adhesion will take place between all elements.