Is there a way to paint or stain over Old Linoleum Floor Glue?

Old 08-25-17, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to paint or stain over Old Linoleum Floor Glue?

My wife and I had a mishap with the dish washer while on vacation and the laminate flooring we put down a few years back is warped and really messed up! We are looking to stain or paint the concrete flooring but we have some really hard stuck and double stuck glue areas. We are looking at approximately 1200 square feet of flooring that we are going to replace. We really wanted to stain the concrete slab together but as soon as we started picking up the flooring we noticed a ton of the linoleum glue that stayed pretty much everywhere. I know the procedure of hot water and scrapers to remove the glue and paper but is there any other way to paint or stain over that material and make it look good? I don't know if this is just wishful thinking or a real possibility but I don't really look forward to hot water and scraping 1200 square feet of glue floor. Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You need clean concrete to apply an acid stain and sealer - anything less will just look bad. Paint is a little more forgiving but if any of the adhesive is sticking up or not smooth, that will show also.

Old 08-26-17, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Pretty much impossible to remove the glue from concrete once applied. May want to look at tile as a more long term, water resistant surface in the kitchen. Can't you salvage enough flooring from the rest of the floor to at least complete one room?

Old 08-28-17, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Does the slab look good in the first place? If not, it never was a candidate for stain or paint, IMO.

I also like the idea of tile but it still means hot water and a scraper.

Old 08-28-17, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
You could always put down loose laid vinyl like Flexitec. You would just need to scrape up the rough spots.

Old 08-28-17, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Back in the old days with cut back adhesive I saw a recommendation to use a floor machine (buffer) with a sanding disk. Rented a floor machine and tried it. Went through a lot of disks and it really made a mess but I thought I'd throw it out there. Not recommending it but you may see it suggested somewhere so call this a warning.