need help with various issues on tile!

Old 05-04-01, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please someone answer the following:

How do I figure out how much grout to buy per square foot of tile? The tiles I will install are 8x12.

What width of grouting do I use for this size of tile?

Is there a formula to use to figure out the above?
Thank you

[Edited by katia on 05-05-01 at 09:37]

Old 05-05-01, 04:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Katia,

8x12 tiles are usually wall tiles, but the spacing can be arbitrary. If the joints are less than 1/8 in., you can use unsanded grout. Wider joints require sanded grout. We need to know how wide the joints are. Also, whether the tiles are in a shower, or on a floor.

For 1/4 in. joints, for example, you would figure a 25 lb. sack of sanded grout per 100 sq. feet of area.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 05-05-01, 06:15 PM
Visiting Guest
The tiles will go on the wall in a shower stall. Does this make a difference what kind of grout to get?

Also, I wanted to know if there is a standard space between tiles, for the grout, based on the size of the tile.

Thank you

Old 05-06-01, 06:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Katia,

Many wall tiles have spacer lugs built into their edges. Don't know whether yours do or not, but if so, that determines the space (which is usually less than 1/8 in. and would therefore entail the use of unsanded grout).

Otherwise, there is no standard. You will have to use some sort of spacer is your tiles don't have the lugs, and the size of the spacer will determine the joint. If it's wider than 1/8 in., you'll need to use sanded grout.

The only other type of grout I know of is epoxy, and don't get yourself into that.

I've seen some stuff at Home Depot in a tub that is supposed to be adhesive and grout all in one. I would steer clear of that stuff too.

But again, the size of the tile has little to do with the size of the joint, and there is no standard.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: