sub floor wood damage, how do i fix before tiling

Old 05-05-01, 12:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have laminated hardwood floor in kitchen. I want to remove it and lay ceramic tile. Because the hardwood has been glued it is pulling up part of the sub flooring leaving gouges. Is there a way to fill these gouges and level the sub floor to prepare for the perma base under layment that I plan to use. I need help quick. Thanks

Old 05-05-01, 04:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Clara,

Quick help may not be the answer. I have no way of knowing what the subfloor is made of. If it's particle board, it won't be suitable for a ceramic installation.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know what "perma base" is. The correct underlayment for ceramic would be cement backer board (CBU). If you can supply a little more detail, I and others can help.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 05-05-01, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
to john

I had the sub floor question . You wanted to know what mthe sub floor was. It is plywood. The perma base is a5/16th cement backer board made by National Gypsum recommended by a tile man as being easier to work with than the hardibacker. My question is, is there something that can be used to fill all gouges in the plywood subfloor if I continue to pullup all the glued hardwood strips? Thanks, Bud Davis

Old 05-06-01, 06:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bud,

You can probably fill the gouges with modified thin set as you install the cement backer board. The manufacturers of all the backers I'm familiar with recommend the thin set anyway. Just make sure you fill the depressions up flush before you put down the board, and stay off it for a day or two after you install it.

The question arises (always questions) as to how much damage is being done to the plywood and how its effectiveness is being reduced. You'll have to make that call.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 05-06-01, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
from Bud

Thanks John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: