Filling gap between tile and tub

Old 09-20-17, 03:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filling gap between tile and tub

I recently got my old tub removed and a new one was installed. The old one was a little bigger than the new one because it was a one piece surround. The new installation is a tub with tiled walls. I now have a larger gap where my tile floor meets the new tub. My original plan was to use sanded caulk to fill the gap but the gap is a little over 1/2" at its largest spot. Part of the subfloor is also exposed, maybe 1/4". Can I still use this caulk to fill the gap without it cracking or splitting? Any other options?

Attached Images   
Old 09-21-17, 02:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You might get by with sanded grout [not caulk] An easy fix would be install quarter round to hide the gap. You'd want to predrill the nail holes if you don't have a nail gun. I'd prime all 6 sides of the quarter round prior to installation to give it a little extra moisture protection.

Old 09-21-17, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would install a strip of vinyl quarter round, shoe molding or whatever is needed to cover the gap. And, caulk the edges of the vinyl molding with silicone caulk. Vinyl molding is vinyl all the way through so there is no concern with it absorbing moisture or rotting. It can sometimes be a bit fussy to get a long strip to lay flat but gluing it in place with caulk and a few trim nails works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: