Time to install porcelain tiles?

Old 10-13-17, 11:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Time to install porcelain tiles?

My kitchen/dining is small (approximately 240 sq. ft.)
I am getting porcelain tiles installed. The tiles are 12" x 24". The handyman I hired (started on a Monday morning). He told me the job would take about 4/5 days.

Well, here's what his schedule was like:
MONDAY - Removed vinyl
TUESDAY - Spread epoxy (which dries in approx. 3 hrs).Told me he'd be back after 3 hrs, but then told me he'll be back the next day.
WEDNESDAY - Leveled concrete
THURSDAY - Started preparing/laying tiles @ 10AM and stopped around 7:30PM. I would say he laid only about 25% down.
FRIDAY - Today, he came at 10AAM. He laid about 10 tiles down in about 3 hrs, cutting about 3 or 4 of them cause the tiles are going to be staggered.

So, my patience is starting to run low (and I have A LOT of patience) because I had to move everything in my living room from the kitchen and my house is in disarray. Is it normal that he is going sooooo slow? At the rate he is working, it might take him twice as long. Maybe I'm just starting to feel anxious cause I want it to be done already? sigh!

Old 10-13-17, 11:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So how does the job look?

If it looks good and he's doing a good job by taking his time and it's not costing you more then be happy!

Old 10-13-17, 03:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
TV has given a false reality on remodeling jobs and time frames. I prefer to do things correct regardless of the time involved. I see too many installs that looked like a 12 year old did them. Ask him if it is progressing positively. Large format tile can be a time saver in a square room, but a burden if there are lots of obstacles and tricky cuts that need to be made..

Old 10-13-17, 06:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm wondering what was done before he set any tiles. You said he removed the vinyl, wasn't there a thin layer of plywood under it? Please xplain the steps and what specific materials/layers are under the tiles.

Large tiles can be a pain esp. if the floor is not flat.

You said you hired a handyman, well, that might have something to do with it.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: