Experienced DIYers help with shower repair?

Old 10-27-17, 07:38 AM
Experienced DIYers help with shower repair?

Hello everyone,

I am totally new to home DIY and I would like some help for this bathroom situation. Please see attached images.

Is this DIYable?

This is my bathroom in my apartment. I went to home depot and asked, and I was told that all that is needed is grout to fill up those cracked spaces. Please let me know what you think the best way to handle this is.

Thank you for your time in advance.

James

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-17, 08:00 AM
Sorry, the 4th picture is upside down. That picture is showing the floor inside the shower booth.

Old 10-27-17, 08:30 AM
The area at the bottom right, outside, appears to be drywall that is getting wet from water getting past the door. That can be removed and patched up.

The other areas are not clear from the pictures, do you have areas of grout that are missing and need patching?

Old 10-27-17, 08:46 AM
In the fourth picture is that a big gap between the step out and the bottom tile?

Old 10-27-17, 09:56 AM
Thank you for your replies! I made the areas in question clearer by circling them in red in the newly attached images.

Marq1,

How can I get remove that area and get that area patched up?

kramttocs

Yes, that is one of the biggest concerns that I have

Attached Images     
Old 10-27-17, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Unless you own the apartment this is not your responsibility. The owner needs to fix it. If you do the repairs and the owner doesn't like them you could lose your deposit or even more.

Old 10-27-17, 10:00 AM
The apartment is owned by a family member of mine

So, I would like to take great care of these problems. If professional help is indicated, I am willing to do so, but I am exploring possible DIY options for now first~!

Old 10-27-17, 10:29 AM
Fir the exterior repair that just needs to have the drywall dug out of the wall and patched up, primed and repainted. It's a wall repair vs tile repair.

The other areas look like they need some group repair. You will want to find a similar grout (not pre mixed) dig out old grout so new will stick and work it into the joints, a relatively easy DIY project.

Old 10-27-17, 12:16 PM
Oh wow,
How can I dig out the drywall? When you say the word "drywall", are you referring to the area with rust that appears to have been patched previously?

Also, how can I dig out the old grout without breaking the tiles?

Sorry for the ignorance! and thank you for your time!

James

Old 10-27-17, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Wink

Here is some grout removal help.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.DI-dLRe1qCU

Drywall refers to the material on the walls. Also referred to as sheet rock or perhaps wallboard. The rust is from the metal corner bead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

https://www.google.com/search?ei=SdD....0.pr6L3kF9qTs

The drywall pros here knock off at 3 on Fridays. Union rules.

Old 10-28-17, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the crack is in a corner (outside, inside, shelf, etc) then the repair is with caulking, not grout. This is a perfect example of why you caulk the areas where planes change in a tile job.

The flat areas on the floor or near the drain can be grouted.

Be very careful when removing gout that you don't dig too far and possibly damaged the waterproofing. If a kerdi shower, the membrane will be directly under the tile.

Old 11-02-17, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
If the crack is in a corner (outside, inside, shelf, etc) then the repair is with caulking, not grout. This is a perfect example of why you caulk the areas where planes change in a tile job.

The flat areas on the floor or near the drain can be grouted.

Be very careful when removing gout that you don't dig too far and possibly damaged the waterproofing. If a kerdi shower, the membrane will be directly under the tile.
Thank you for your time to try to help me out!

How do I make sure that I don't dig too far in?

Old 11-02-17, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pull the trim on the shower supply handle and look at the construction of the wall behind the tile through the hole made for the plumbing. Take a picture and upload it is you still have questions. Grout is never deeper than the thickness of the tile. So, open up the trim and see if the membrane is right under the tile, or if cement board and a membrane behind.

Old 03-11-18, 09:56 AM
Do I use grout or caulk or silicone?

I was planning on using grout. Went to home depot / Lowes today to buy the joint applicator, and one guy there was furious that I should not be using grout as it will dry up and end up cracking. And he is recommending using this product. I am so lost in this Thank you for your help / advice all!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone...RoCkpkQAvD_BwE

Old 03-13-18, 01:39 PM
I'd personally use caulk because grout is not going to bond to the metal drain. Clear would look better IMO.