Caulking kitchen counter to backsplash

Old 12-03-17, 03:50 PM
W
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Caulking kitchen counter to backsplash

The siliconized acrylic caulk that lines the kitchen counter/backsplash is cracking.

The counter is quite long, and some parts of the caulk are completely intact, with no water contact. Only a small portion actually of the counter is adjacent to the sink.

I am aware that you should never caulk over old caulk. Could you, however, just caulk next to old intact caulk?

Old 12-03-17, 04:28 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
No, new is not going to stick to old, please go back and post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
If it's cracking then most likely somethings moving, under sized floor joist being the main cause.

Old 12-03-17, 10:17 PM
W
Attached is a photo. The center and left caulk is cracking. The far right is intact and still adherent. Was hoping I could just scrape out the center/left parts and join that to the intact caulk to the right side.

All of this part is purely cosmetic. There's no water exposure on this part of the counter. There is ~24' of countertop, only ~3' of it is next to a sink.

The house was a new build 4 years ago. With the house settling, it cracked within a year and we had the builder come out and recaulk it. Of course, with more settling, it cracked again soon thereafter.

Trying to do it myself now... it is *not* a pretty sight! So my wife says.

Old 12-03-17, 10:20 PM
W
Oops, here's the photo:

https://imgur.com/a/Q3oqs

Old 12-04-17, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Take a utility knife and cut out what caulk you can and then recaulk. You don't need to remove all the old caulk but the more you get out the better.

Old 12-04-17, 03:41 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I would also use a straight silicon caulk as opposed to an acrylic. It will hold better and not crack as easily. The cracking you see taking place is very minor and may just be from drying out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: