Raised edge for floor tile with drain?

Old 12-10-17, 07:28 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Raised edge for floor tile with drain?

I want to make a small 3' X 3' section of time for a washer with a floor drain.
I think edges will need to be raised and waterproofed to contain any water in the event of a spillage.
What should I use to raise the edge and by how much?

Old 12-10-17, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Using a pan would be a heck of a lot easier, cheaper, not subject to damage when repairing or replacing appliance, etc,

I'm sure someone may have done it, but you'd probably need a curb at least 1 1/2 wide (2x4) so I'd guess 3 1/2 high? or possibly 2 2x4's laid flat on top of each other for easy, strong attachment to the floor and interleaving at the ends for strength. then it would be 3 1/2 wide x 3" tall. New clothes washers can pump a lot of water. And you'd need to anchor the wood to whatever floor you have now, use waterproof membrane...basically a 3' x 3' shower stall. Seems like a lot of work.

Lets see what a tile guy says...

Old 12-11-17, 01:54 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All the pans I can find are actually too big for the space. I could cut one maybe but will be difficult to reseal.

Old 12-11-17, 03:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Find a local metal shop that makes duct work for HVAC guys. They make pans all day long to go under air handler units to serve as emergency pans. Just give them the dimensions you want, where you want the exit port and be done with it. Lot of work to build a stand alone shower pan for a washer.

Old 12-12-17, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you use a pre-made pan or have a metal one fabricated make a provision to reinforce or support the outer lip. You'll need to get the washer in and out over the lip so it can take a lot of abuse. All it takes is a strip of wood that sticks up slightly higher than the pan. Then when you're sliding the washer in and out it's hitting and sliding on the wood and not the drain pan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: