Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HELP!! Can you apply sanded grout caulk over previously applied sanded caulk?

OH

12-19-17, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)  
HELP!! Can you apply unsanded grout caulk over previously applied unsanded caulk

Recently had tile flooring and bull nose baseboard tile put in my bathroom. The contractor used an unsanded grout caulk (Mapei Keracaulk) between the floor tile and bull nose base board tile. When the sanded grout caulk dried it shrank a great deal however. This created gaps and wells for water and dirt to pool. I am currently trying to get the contractor to come and address the issue but he is refusing. Do I have a legitimate complaint here? If so, what is the fix? Additional unsanded grout caulk over the shrinkage?

He also did my kitchen and failed to grout an area between the cabinets and the tile. There is also a placed with the grout has cracked. Finally, he took the kitchen pantry doors down in order to lay the tile. But never put the door back up. He left it laying on my kitchen counter. When approached about this he refused to fix it and I had to pay another person to drill the tile and re-hang and balance the door. Correct me if I'm wrong but if he took the door down he should have put it back up right...and fix the grout?

Attached Images

Last edited by mpt297; 12-19-17 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-19-17, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Sorry but it sounds like you hired the wrong guy. Owe him any money yet?

OH

12-19-17, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Still owe him $1150...which he isn't getting until this is fixed! Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau...We'll see what happens...

Group Moderator

WI

12-19-17, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Good - owing him money is the only leverage one usually has.

In the meantime, I would get a couple more contractors out to bid fixing/finishing the job so you have documentation of such, if needed.

MI

12-19-17, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Just to understand, he used tile caulk for the entire floor?

If so that is not correct, the tile caulk is for corners where different planes of tile meet!

It all needs to be removed an convention grout installed.

OH

12-20-17, 04:56 AM   #6 (permalink)  
No, He used the sanded tile caulk for the area where the vertical tile meets the horizontal floor tile. There was just a large amount of shrinkage with the tile caulk and it created gaps and wells where the tile meets.

MI

12-20-17, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Good, then back to your original question, if the original caulk is clean then you can add more but if it can be removed easily I would opt for removal!

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-20-17, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)  
It hurts me to look at these pictures. Trying to figure out why such a large gap under the wall bullnose. Must be that the floor tile is so uneven that he needed the gap to allow for it. If you can not get him back, you can add caulking on top of what he did to bring it out more flush and give it a more polished look. Us masking tape on the floor and tile to protect. Then apply caulk, wet your finger and pull a nice straight bead with your finger. Remove the masking tape immediately. If you apply too thick, it will leave a ridge where the tape was so be mindful of that.

Search this Thread