Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

both unsanded and sanded gout needed?

KS

12-20-17, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)  
both unsanded and sanded gout needed?

Grout lines on the shower wall border tile is 1/8" -- I'm planning to use unsanded grout for that. However the gap between the bottom tile row and top of shower is 1/4" strong. Must sanded grout be used for that or can I get away with using unsanded grout for that also?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-20-17, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)  
However the gap between the bottom tile row and top of shower is 1/4" strong.
Detail this further, Normally grout gap like that big take sanded gout, but it sounds like a transition area between floor and wall which would take caulk. Further clarification is needed.

Super Moderator

AZ

12-20-17, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)  
You say "bottom tile row and top of shower"? Is it a FG or acrylic shower that bumps out from the wall? Or do you mean there's a just a slightly larger gap between the tile of the border and the tile of the shower?

If there is a change in plane between vertical and horizontal, even if it's just a 3/4" lip, caulk should be used.

Perhaps sanded caulk (normally available in the same colors as grout at the same place of purchase) might be an option vs buying a whole container of dry grout for that single seam...I'm not sure. Wait for a Pro to check in.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

KS

12-20-17, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Shower wall is a cultured marble like material. Both surfaces are vertical no lip on the top of the wall

MI

12-21-17, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I buy what is needed for the job based on the majority of the gap size and then use it for everything.

It's not that technical that you need to buy two different materials,

KS

12-21-17, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)  
That’s what I wanted to do. Thought I’d ask first. Thanks

Group Moderator

WI

12-21-17, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Shower wall is a cultured marble like material
Unsanded grout only with marble. Not sure whether the same rule applies to cultured marble.

Search this Thread