Well, it's a type of material....

Old 02-01-18, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, it's a type of material....

So, this is a general question about stone. How can you tell...other than looks and experience...if something is natural stone or something like man made quartz material. I pretty much know on sight certain types like marble...but I think what I have is granite. It's very granular looking as opposed to veined like marble. A local countertop shop said I could have any scraps from their dumpster. She has some ideas for crafty type things, but I'm looking at some bigger pieces for use as table tops on the patio, for dough making, etc. They throw away some pretty hefty chunks. I can make straight cuts no problem and for my use that's fine.

I'd just like to know what it is. Does water absorb quickly on cuts in granite or marble...and not so quick on man made quartz? Are there "pits" on granite, but not marble or quartz?

I can take a pic of what I have, but that won't help if I get something different next time.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-18, 02:04 PM
My understanding is if it's mane made you will see a repeating pattern or a very regular type of grain in the material. Natural stone should show varying types of grain and patterns. But I'm no expert!

Old 02-01-18, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the counter company is willing to give you scraps they can also identify it easily if they have time to help. If the scraps are large enough you should be able to find some scraps with the manufacturer's stamp on the bottom, the stamp is repeated.

Caesarstone is one example of quartz. It is far less porous than granite and doesn't soak in germs and requires less or no sealing.
Granite is porous, fragile, has veins and requires sealing periodically.

I would go for the Corian scraps. Corian can look new forever with a buffer and automotive polishing compound. The only drawback to Corian is it will scratch and you can't cut on it.

Old 02-01-18, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Oh, I'd love to have some Corian. Would be perfect for my uses. They probably have it in their racks, it's a pretty small custom shop, so a lot of storage and countertop work is outside. The cabinets are all done inside. Matter of fact, went by after they were closed and there are still tops in the middle of being polished sitting on saw horses just inside the locked gate.

Don't need to bother them unless the guy is actively dumping...pretty sure what I got is granite...bout 1 1/4" thick with a broken end that's kind of granular and rough. Doesn't appear to be synthetic. No smell when a flame is applied. Not marble...pretty sure that would be a much tighter look...more homogeneous.

Old 02-01-18, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing what you found was 3cm Granite, Look it up. It costs a fortune and is 1-3/16" thick and even a small piece is heavy.
Some of the 3cm granite is finished with a proprietary finish (sealer) that is guaranteed for 10 years, some not.
It can be cut with a diamond blade angle grinder.

Old 02-01-18, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Yep, thats the stuff. Google images showed me some patterns very very similar

Old 02-13-18, 09:38 AM
Oh, I'd love to have some Corian.
When I saw this comment in an earlier post I wanted to tell you about a Corian supplier that I have used couple of times but couldn't remember the name. I just got my semi-annual email from them: SolidSurface.com. They are worth checking out.

There are also a couple of Corian exchanges that you can find on Google where shops list their remnants. Unfortunately I do not remember the ones that I used a couple of years ago when I needed a 2X3 piece for a small counter in a bathroom.

Last edited by 2john02458; 02-13-18 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo