Removing mud bed in bathroom

Old 03-01-18, 09:36 PM
Removing mud bed in bathroom

I'm tearing out my bathroom found there is a mud bed appx. 3" thick under the ceramic tile on floor. The bath is adjacent to bedroom which has hardwood floors on 2 x 4 sleepers. So to raise bathroom floor they laid down the mud bed. My question is do I have to remove all the bed to slab or can I run a diamond blade about half way down and take out that much? Then pour self leveling concrete to proper level, thinset and tile. Least labor intensive would seem to remove it all, lay my own sleepers, plywood, cement board, thinset and tile. It's not the tearing out that bothers me it's the mixing mortar in 5 gallon buckets on carport and carrying all 20 60lb. bags through the house. This is my first post so if this has already been answered please post link.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-18, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
I do not think you will be able to take out half the mud bed. You either leave it and just scrape off the tile or you take out the mud bed altogether.

You only said you were tearing out the bathroom and didn't tell us what you intend to do with it. Are you installing tile or some other type of flooring?

Old 03-02-18, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure scraping is an option. The house was built in 1959 and the tile - at least on the walls - is one with the mortar. That was my concern, using a pneumatic scraper is probably going to crack the mortar and compromise the bed. I am going a new lay tile floor.

Old 03-02-18, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Once you get a tile off you can use a rotary hammer with a chisel tip. Hold it at a shallow angle so the blows are parallel to the floor. Get the chisel underneath the tile and go at it. You are trying to chisel in the thinset layer which is what's holding the tile to the mortar bed. This will allow you to get the tile off (hopefully) without damaging the mortar bed below (hopefully).

If the mortar bed does get cracked or damaged then the whole thing should come out and that will be no easy job. There is probably a steel mesh inside that was nailed to the subfloor. You can get started at one edge, usually a doorway and pry the whole think up with a wrecking bar. Use a sledge hammer to break up the mortar but at some point you'll probably need a reciprocating saw with a fine tooth metal blade or a circular saw with a abrasive cutoff blade to cut the steel mesh so you can take it out in sections. It can be a hard and very dusty job.

Old 03-02-18, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely the tile is small mosaics or hexagons. They were paper backed back then and you can just pop the tile off the mortar bed and reuse the existing mudbed. Use a hammer drill set only on hammer and use a tile chisel blade. After a couple of blows you will get he hang if it. I have done this dozens of times. You may have to do some repairs to the bed, but it will stay pretty much intact. If you remove the mudbed, you will have issues with the height of the toilet flange. There is also the possibility of pipes being inside the mudbed so proceed accordingly.

Old 03-02-18, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys. Always helps when someone can tell you what the road ahead is like. Steel mesh in floor wouldn't surprise me. Walls are tar paper, steel mesh, plaster/mortar then tile. That's 1 3/4" a wall. I am only tiling floor and 4.5' tub alcove. I'll be gaining 2 1/4" in the massive 5 x 8 bathroom. : ) Dust has been an issue. Used heat gun to remove window glaze and glass from casement window. Put in a plywood plug with 6" exhaust fan. Wearing painters mask and googles. running an airline through plywood as well. Will use pneumatic chisel on floor. It is not Hex but same deal small square of two colors to make bigger square. Feel sure it will same deal as hex. Onward!
Regards, Dan