Setting ceramic tiles with grouted edges ?

Old 03-21-18, 07:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Setting ceramic tiles with grouted edges ?

Good morning, looking for advice on setting ceramic tiles that have grouted edges. These 12 x 12 tiles have 4 - 6 x6 tiles obviously with grout on the interior but also the outside edges. If they are placed together with the edges touching the width of the grout is the same as where the 4 tiles meet thus leaving no room for spacing to grout between the tiles. Even if spaced 1/16th of an inch the exterior grout will be wider than interior. I hope this makes sense. This is for a bathroom project so there will be water and space between tiles needs to be filled. Can anyone explain the method in which to install this type of tile to have a uniform grout look?

Thanks !

Old 03-21-18, 08:53 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So the grouted edge is part of the tile?

Cant say I've seen this before, maybe they are not intended to be grouted!

They must have instructions, what does the manufacturer say to do?

Old 03-21-18, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If I understand what you are saying the only tiles like that that I have seen were not intended to receive grout after installation. They were adhesive backed and intended to look like traditional grouted tile. You just install them as close together as possible to minimize the gap line between sections. They are not intended to be a "proper" tiled floor but rather are a quick and easy DIY product.

You can post some pictures. That might help clear things up for us. How to insert pictures.

Old 03-21-18, 02:01 PM
S
I mistakenly said the tiles were 12 x 12 but actually 24 x 12. Does not effect the question. If the tiles are set touching each other the space that you could force grout into would be extremely thin. Thoughts ?Name:  IMG_7702.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  75.4 KB

Old 03-21-18, 02:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If you want a floor with grout to seal the gap between all the tiles I would pick another tile. One that does not have built in faux grout lines.

Old 03-21-18, 03:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Look at the lines on your proposed tile, they have dimension that forms a square pattern, you should duplicate this pattern between each successive row of tile. Fine spacers that are the same width. You do not butt your tiles together, that would break up the pattern. Also choose a grout color that matches the internal lines on your tile.

Side note, for tiles that large, you need a super flat and strong subfloor before you install. What are these tiles going over?

Old 03-21-18, 03:32 PM
S
Thanks for reply ! strong subfloor, plywood with 1/4" cement board over. To your point when the tiles are butted to each other it continues the pattern as the 2 edges combined equals the lines internally leaving no real space for grout. Even a thin spacer creates a wider line than the internal grout lines. After some online research I have found this tile offered without the grouted edges which allows for standard spacing. Wondering if this design is for a particular application? perhaps not a bathroom floor ?

Old 03-21-18, 04:23 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Perhaps not a bathroom floor ?

Perhaps for any floor without grout!

What kind of tile is this???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: