Where can I purchase pre-mixed 5-1 deck mud?

Old 03-25-18, 12:42 PM
Question Where can I purchase pre-mixed 5-1 deck mud?

I've done a lot of reading and it appears the best ratio for a sloped mortar bed is 5 parts sand 1 part cement.

Quickrete sand / topping mix is 3-1 and I am aware I can just add sand to this but I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible so I'd rather find someone that sells the deck mud pre-mixed to this ratio.

Preferably a big box store like home depot or lowes but if I have to order online I will.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-18, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Big orange carries a mud bed mix in the tile section that I have used multiple times I believe the brand is Custom Building Products. My current remodel I used laticrete floor mud #209. They are a larger aggregate that allows moisture to seep through to the pan liner and eventually to the drain if it gets past the tile and and grout. I've never mixed my own from scratch as buying something ready mixed is so easy.

Old 03-25-18, 01:17 PM
Thanks , Is this the stuff? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...ed+%7Brest%7D+

If so, any idea what the mix ratio of cement and sand is. I couldnt seem to find it.

Old 03-25-18, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that is the stuff, looks like it is a 3:1 mixture but again, I stress that it is a different larger type aggregate so you are not comparing apples to apples here. Again, it takes the guess work out of it and I have never had a mudbed failure. Here is a pic of my current project when I was doing the first pre-slope. I'm removing my sloped pieces of wood and filling in the void left by them. You can see that it doesn't look like sand, it is much bigger. Therefore, the ratios would be different.

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-18, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I did notice the coverage of this was much greater than the other premixes.

I also see quickrete actually has a mud bed mix that is 5:1 ratio https://www.quikrete.com/pdfs/data_s...4-50%20-76.pdf.

I am not doing a traditional pre-slope with a sandwiched pvc liner. Instead, I am doing a 3.5" pitched mortar bed to fill in the hole i cut out of my basement slab in conjunction with a bonded flanged drain and a topical liquid membrane.

Because of this, I wonder if either the quickrete mud bed mix or the Custom Building Products CustomFloat would be better for my situation.

Old 03-25-18, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Give more details on your intended procedures to fill in the hole. Is this for a floor drain, or are you trying to make a shower in your basement? What will go on the liquid membrane?

Old 03-25-18, 03:54 PM
The slab hole has been filled back in with the old fill which was pretty clean ( discarded any big rocks wasn't many) , tampered and then topped off with about 1" gravel a little higher than level with the bottom of the rest of the existing slab.

Yes, this is for a curbless shower in my basement.

I will be using Hydro ban as a liquid membrane along with there membrane cloth for adjoining surfaces and going over with tile.

Below is the showers current state.

Attached Images  

Last edited by rufunky; 03-25-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, didn't put this project together until posted the picture, usually good to keep all questions to one thread.

Personally, I would want a solid base for the mudbed. Gravel and stone may not be enough for the thickness of your mudbed as far as long term viability. I would have dug deeper with my gravel and poured a new 4" thick slab just set lower than the current by the amount you want your slope. That would give a strong base to support the relatively fragile mud bed. Fragile in the fact that I have demo'd enough to know that there is not much structural support. Hit it with a hammer and it breaks. You need a solid foundation, which in my opinion you do not have. Mud beds while made similar to concrete, are not as strong as concrete.

Cheers to the use of Hydroban, good stuff. Make sure to give it at least 3 or 4 coats and look closely for pin holes.