Upstairs shower leaks

Old 03-27-18, 11:33 AM
Upstairs shower leaks

I have just finished sealing and painting the ceiling below a 2nd floor free standing shower (no tub). with a small part of the drywall ce iling removed, I could see that whatever might have been put there in 1963 when the house was built to catch any water leaking thru the grout in the shower floor tiles was either never put in, or had completely disinigrated. Is the only way I can safeguard the ceiling for the future to remove the shower floor completely, and put in a rubber matting and work my way up to a complete new floor, using the old tiles? (the entire bathroom up there is 4X4 colored tiles with 1" smaller tiles on each corner of the of the bigger tiles.) It wouldn't hurt to do it all, but not a job I would relish right now! Was there supposed to be something there originally to catch a water leak, and drain it off to a pipe safely?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-18, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Showers should not leak. If they leak you fix the leak. You do no install something else to catch leaks.

The least of your concern should be the sheetrock ceiling. It's cheap and easy to repair. If the shower develops a leak you want to know about it as soon as possible so you can fix the leak before there is structural damage.

Old 03-27-18, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Based on age, you have a lead shower pan that may have arrived at the end of its life. Tell us where you are seeing the leak. Is it near the drain or outside the main body of the shower. Possible that it is just a shower that needs to be recaulked. Pictures would help.

Old 03-28-18, 06:22 PM
Upstairs Shower Leaks

The leaks are at corners of the shower pan. Sheetrock in the ceilings below have an original swirl pattern in the surface compound that is VERY difficult to duplicate. I swear I saw something somewhere that showed a rubber insert that they put under showers like this now to prevent what is happening to me occasionally when the temperature chances crack the grout in the shower floor. I am being more careful about maintenance of the drain line and the shower floor grout condition, but if there is an insert that should be in there, it might save me being from defiled by any new owner of this house in the future. I like to leave things I find like this better than I find them. Rare these days

Old 03-29-18, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Any kind of catch pan or try underneath a shower or tub is just a Band-Aid to hide the problem. If the shower is leaking it's leaking and needs to be fixed. A catch pan underneath will only cause you to allow the leak to continue which can rot the framing causing a much more expensive repair.

Old 03-29-18, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leaking at the corners means that the corners need to be recaulked. If you look closely in the corners, you may see cracks in the grout. If this is the case, they you need to caulk over the grout to seal the corners. Also do the same near the shower door, curb and anyplace where the tile changes plane.

Old 03-30-18, 08:44 AM
Shower leaks

I have found that using caulk is a VERY short term fix for this problem. I have a whole line up of grout, grout, grout liquid for mixing, grout cleaner, a Dremel carbide grout removal tip, and grout sealer, various sponges and grout applications tools. When the grout starts to come up and out of the cracks, I zap it with the carbide bit and immediately apply a new bead of grout in the area. I still think there is a rubber catch bladder that goes in new construction to prevent ceiling damage, but haven't had time to look for one.

Old 03-30-18, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't grout the corners on a tile shower, they are caulked with a color matching caulk that replicates the look of the grout. Different walls expand and contract at different rates, the grout in these corners is not flexible and cracks as you have indicated. Re-grouting will indeed only buy your a short amount of time. Re-caulking should give you years of worry free service. The rubber membrane you mention is part of the shower floor initial build and not a retrofit item.