New shower in basement.

Old 03-27-18, 05:54 PM
New shower in basement.

getting ready to construct a shower pan in basement. Floor is cement. Before I put mud for pan down I know I have to coat it with thin set. My question do I have to put the mud down while thinset is wet? Can I wait till it drys?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-18, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
You are going to have to provide more information and be clear in your terminology. "mud the pan down" and "coat it with thin set" might be the same thing but using incorrect terminology. Generally a pan is bedded with blobs of mortar to properly support a pre-fabricated plastic or fiberglass pan/tray. Thinset is usually used when setting tile with may or may not be used with a pre-fabricated shower pan.

Old 03-28-18, 08:29 AM
Ok ok sorry, I’m going to use 4 parts sand to one part Portland cement to make my slope on the shower. I’m building my pan because shower is going to be 4 by 7. I have to use something so this mixture will bond with the cement basement floor. Hence I’m planning on using versabond professional thinset mix to put on the cement. That way the sand/Portland cement will bond to the floor. After I build my slope to drain I install my pvc liner (Oately brand). Using a Oately 3 piece drain also. After I get the liner on slope I made I use same sand/cement mixture on it. when that drys I can tile. My question is the bonding argent thinset with polymers in it is what I use to make this cement I make stick to floor which is cement. Do I put the cement right on top,of the thinset while it still wet or do I let it dry first?

Last edited by Steven Mac; 03-28-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
How is putting a pre-mix thinset on top of your mortar bed going to help the mortar bed adhere to your concrete floor??? Any bonding agent should be applied to the concrete floor before placing your mortar or use a modified mortar.

Old 03-28-18, 09:48 AM
So putting a 3/16 coat of versabond on concrete floor before I put my sand/Portland slope mixture down won’t help the sand/Portland mix adhere then.

Old 03-28-18, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
I would not introduce so many materials and certainly not a thin layer. If you want to use the Versabond just use it to build up your mortar bed.

Old 03-31-18, 06:19 PM
yes, you can use the versabond to adhere the mortar bed to the concrete as you described for your preslope bed.