Wood look tile on pier and beam.

Old 04-03-18, 10:55 PM
Wood look tile on pier and beam.

Hello all,

I’ve found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I purchased about 900 sq ft of 6x24 wood plank tile to install throughout my house about a year ago. I failed to do my research beforehand and didn’t think about the subfloor structure the tile would be going on. My house has “pier and beam” or “post and beam” construction. There are 4x6 beams running the length of the house spaced 48” on center. There are no actual joist, just T&G 1 1/8 plywood over the beams. As you can imagine, there is a fair amount of flex in the floor when placing weight on the floor in the areas between the beams. Can anyone provide a solution that will allow the installation of the tile I already purchased? Blocking between joists? Another layer of ply or OSB running perpendicular to the current ply, followed by backer board? I’d prefer something that won’t raise questions if I decide to sell soon and I think blocking might. My other dilemma with this is I only have about 1” of total height including the tile I can add to subfloor without having my door not hit the tile. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-18, 02:29 AM
The L/360 standard means that the floor should not deflect more than the "span" divided by 360.
So calculations for 48" span would be .13 of an inch, about 1/8" which would scare the hell out of me if I were installing tile.

(this is the deflection between the joists, not the joists themselves but I dont know their length)

So how does that compare to your "fair amount"?

I'm not sure how this construction meets code, you dont show location, but unless you are willing to do a lot of construction I think I'd skip the tile!

Old 04-04-18, 06:05 AM
I’m surprised it meets code as well. Well, I’m assuming it meets code anyway. As far as the deflection amount I’d say there is at least 1/4 inch or more if measured in the center of the unsupported span of the subfloor. I’ll try and draw something up so everyone can get a visual of the layout.