Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Removed my toilet paper holder from tile wall, now how to remove eye sore?

Removed my toilet paper holder from tile wall, now how to remove eye sore?

Old 04-21-18, 10:50 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Removed my toilet paper holder from tile wall, now how to remove eye sore?

Tile bathroom, toilet paper was recessed in wall. No visible screws, so I started pulling & chiseling.

I was correct that there were no screws (just globs of sheet rock on top & bottom). However, the tiles suffered some collateral damage. Attached before & after pics.

Appears I have external wall, fiberglass papered insulation, drywall, tile.

What's the best way tomake this look "not bad"? What are my options if I can find spare tile and without spare tile? I've never done any tile work.

Attached Images   
Old 04-21-18, 10:53 AM
I
Also, just to make it clear, the collateral damage is that crack on the right and the big chunk of missing tile at the top.

The bottom came out with no extra damage.

Old 04-21-18, 12:44 PM
A
Is your plan to replace the TP holder with similar one? Or will you patch the hole and do something else for a TP holder?

Either way you'll need to have matching tile. Do you have some on hand? Can you get matching tile? Take a broken piece to your local tile stores to see fit they can match them if you don't have any on hand.

Old 04-21-18, 12:46 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Well your title says it all!!

It appears that it was mortared in, so first question, do you have extra tile?

Old 04-21-18, 12:58 PM
I
Oh, sorry; I should have mentioned my plan is to NOT have a recessed holder anymore. I just want it to be a flat surface that won't cave in if someone puts a little weight there. Possibly replace with a wall-mounted holder.

I don't have any tile, and have not looked in stores yet. I did not perform the (re)model of this bathroom.

Old 04-21-18, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Your first step is to locate replacement tile. You'll need 6-8 for the repair. You'll need to carefully remove the broken ones. Start by removing as much of the grout as you can between the tiles. Then carefully work it out from the back. Once the grout is out there is less of a chance of breaking adjacent tiles.

Old 04-21-18, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You need to get a grout saw as well. Or buy an oscillating tool, something. Get a grout saw with an offset handle and changeable blades, not the cheap plastic type with the blade molded in. And you might do a quick search for removing an individual tile. Plenty of video's out there.

The odds of finding matching tile are pretty low if it's more than a year or 2 old (if that). You might start thinking about removing enough tiles to make some sort of pattern that won't look too bad.

Old 04-21-18, 03:33 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I once had an old school Tile Man, Carmen Cirrolli, who found me some matching tile from behind and below a sink, and then he built a new sink and vanity to cover that area . . . . and then he cleaned up multiple tiles that had been removed so that they could be placed in the more visible location. It was like a skin graft !

That was about 40 years ago and I doubt anyone will be that creative or work that hard anymore.

Old 04-21-18, 03:52 PM
I
Guess my main question is before replacing tile is:

1) Can I cut a piece of cement board the size of the existing hole and tape + mud it in place to provide enough backing/structure?

2) Or, do I need to replace a larger section of cement board til I can actually drill it into the studs?

Overall, what is the correct way to "undo" a recessed toilet paper holder (let's assume adjacent tiles weren't damaged).

Old 04-21-18, 04:33 PM
A
Here's what I would do...

Get a piece of wood and cut a "slat" about 1/2" thick and 2" wide x 8" long or so. Push it behind the existing cement board so a few inches are above the hole and a few inches below the hole (I'm assuming those are 4" tiles...). Drive a screw or two into the wood slat thru the existing cement board. The slat should be across the opening on the backside of the cement board. Cut a patch of cement board and screw it to the wood slat. Actually it is such small hole I think a piece of drywall would work just as well. Mortar or joint compound to seal it up and then tile over.

Old 04-21-18, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
FWIW that looks like Franciscan tile. Not so easy to find anymore, but I think there's a place in LA that still carries it (google is your friend). Even if you do find it, it'll vary from batch to batch. If you can steal some from behind a vanity that would be your best bet.

Old 04-22-18, 07:45 AM
I
I found spare tile (thanks, former owners, for ordering too much!).

It's only 10 bucks for a 3x5 ft sheet of cement board at the big box stores, but I'm cheap. Is there a sufficient alternative for such a small area? Namely, something where I won't have to buy 15 sqft when I need less than 1 sqft. Also have to buy something to cut it, and the screws always come in a box, etc...gonna turn into "my $100 toilet paper holder mistake".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: