Tile adhesive removal from concrete.

Old 05-10-18, 10:07 AM
Tile adhesive removal from concrete.

Hi, I'm cleaning some concrete for a customer, and they have a gazebo where the base was made of travertine tile. There is a substance that appears to have 'leaked' out of the gazebo, and it has the appearance of a construction adhesive. It is hard and brittle, and will chip off if scraped. Can anyone tell me if this is some sort of tile adhesive, and if there is anything i can use that will allow me to remove it without scraping?

Here are some pictures and a video.

Thanks!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0nicKK-D-0

Pictures:

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 01:59 PM
Used this stuff on the center of this square... first coat 40 minutes, lightly scrubbed with a screwdriver and brush.... second coat 15 minutes, same. It did seem to make it easier to remove. I think I will maybe use an angle grinder with a nylon or wire brush or something, and see if that improves it.

Attached Images    
Old 05-10-18, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is your plan to re-tile the area or try to finish the concrete. Using chemicals to strip may make future bonds with other thinsets or adhesives fail. I use a long handles 8" wide floor scraper.

Old 05-10-18, 03:55 PM
Only thing that will be done is that I'm going to apply a sealer to the concrete.