Proper shower tile backing in NYC apartment?

Old 05-11-18, 02:34 PM
Proper shower tile backing in NYC apartment?

Considering having a local handyman/Super that we've used for several jobs to do our bathroom. While he's done excellent work for us and does renovations on a regular basis in the rental building he manages, shower work requires a specific skill set. Trying to gauge whether he's going to work to code or pretty close.

Am I correct that the proper shower tile job would be a plastic membrane to studs, then cement board, then tile?

Anything specific I can ask him to ensure he knows what he's doing?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-18, 06:28 PM
Nope, tile board and grout are not waterproof.
Install tile board then a water proofer like Red Gard then the tile.
https://www.custombuildingproducts.c...s/redgard.aspx

Old 05-12-18, 12:30 AM
If you want it done right do some googling for Ditra or Prova membrane systems, nothing better!

Old 05-12-18, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Tile board and grout can be done with tile. It's a slightly old method that also requires a shower pan or EDPM membrane and and often with a tamped mortar floor. It works and has been the method of choice for 30+ years. But, It's more labor intensive and hence more expensive than more modern methods like Ditra sytems.

Old 05-12-18, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will there be a fiberglass or acrylic shower base installed and then tile on the walls? Or is this a build from scratch custom shower base/pan/tiled floor and tile on the wall?

Old 05-14-18, 01:17 PM
There are two layers of tile being removed on shower walls and will be replacing them.

Old 05-14-18, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks, but really didn't answer my question. What type of floor are you using, or are you just removing tile on the wall and trying to salvage? What is currently behind the wall tile?

Old 05-14-18, 04:14 PM
Sorry, the shower floor is cast iron tub and we are not moving that. I'm not sure what's behind the two layers of wall tiles. I assume wonderboard? We are removing both layers and replacing whatever board is behind them.

Old 05-14-18, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Tile board and grout can be done with tile. It's a slightly old method that also requires a shower pan or EDPM membrane and and often with a tamped mortar floor. It works and has been the method of choice for 30+ years. But, It's more labor intensive and hence more expensive than more modern methods like Ditra sytems.
Sorry, I didn't give enough details. So it's our shower walls. They have two layers of tile we are removing and replacing. We are planning on removing them down to the studs and replacing whatever wonderboards are behind tile. The shower bottom is our cast iron tub, which we are not moving.

Just to clarify, what is an appropriate material behind wall tile? Should it be studs>wonderboard>redguard>tile?

Old 05-21-18, 12:26 PM
Some clarification.

Ditra is an uncoupling membrane typically used on floors. Kerdi (another Schluter product) is a waterproofing membrane typically used in showers, on floors and walls.

EDPM is used in outdoor ponds, not showers. Shower pan liner is typically PVC.