Mix backer board and sheetrock?

Old 05-31-18, 11:51 AM
Mix backer board and sheetrock?

The kitchen I'm working on has thick tile adhesive on it in the area between the counter and upper cabinets. No cabinets are installed yet.
I'm thinking of removing the sheetrock just below the counter line and install backer board 2' wide so it will extend above the upper cabinet line, and put tile on the backer, then run sheetrock up to the ceiling above the backer board so I can paint it.

Is this reasonable? How would you connect the joints between backer board and sheetrock? Joint compound? The joints won't be showing, but why not make it look good.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure there is a need to tape those joints since they'll be hid by the upper cabinets. IMO drywall is good enough, it's not like the tiled back splash is considered a wet area.

Old 05-31-18, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If hidden behind the cabinets then finishing the joints between backer and sheetrock is not necessary. I might throw this out at you, why not install some 1/2" plywood behind the cabinets above the backer board and transition to drywall just below the top of the cabinet line. That way, you do not have to search for a stud to mount your cabinets as anywhere you put a screw will hit wood.