Tile on Cement Slab at grade

Old 05-16-01, 06:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

In the DIY prep info, it says to allow a tile installation over concrete to "cure" for at least 30 days. My question is what am I waiting the 30 days to do? ...30 days before I can grout, 30 days before I can't use the floor (step on it, move furniture on it?) What is it about concrete substates that require that long of a wait? Is 30 days really necessary? Thanks, Del

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-01, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not read that piece, but generally, you wait 28 days before tiling over a concrete slab (actually, two or three weeks are enough). The reason is that it takes portland cement (the "glue" of our trade) that long to "cure." And during this curing time, the slab might shrink or otherwise move a little and mess up your tile installation.

Now when it comes to tiling, you can grout the next day, and you can walk on the floor a couple days afterward. The grout will cure out in a week or so, because the joints are small and air will speed the process (not the cure but the drying).

Don't worry about it.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 08-31-01, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, me again. Well the fill valves are ok,and hetried to put some water in it and advance the cycle to spin, still nothing happenning, just flashes 27 in the digital display (or 33 if he increases the time) he found a schematic under the control portion of it, he tried to run some diagnostic accessed by a series of keypad presses, and the digital display flashes a 9 then 99, says it does this 3 times, is this good?, thanks alot