Tile backsplash with very small mosaic tile

Old 08-17-18, 06:11 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile backsplash with very small mosaic tile

I tried to use a very small mosaic tile to do the backsplash in my kitchen. For the bulk of the kitchen, it worked well but right in front of the kitcheh sink there were two angled walls (135deg) one on each side of the sink. Although I taped the tiles to holed them tin place when cutting the tiles. the tile cuts are not as visually appearling as I would like. Th line is not as straight as it needs to be. In hindsight I could have put a piece of tile edging in the corner to get a straight line.

Any thoughts on how I could improve the corners? I realize I probable don't have to many options at this point

Appreciate any comments.

Old 08-18-18, 04:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Are the tiles installed on the wall?

Old 08-18-18, 06:49 AM
I
Yeah. I am upset with myself. WIfe wanted the job done and I powered through. I think I am going to pull the tile in that area down and start over.

Old 08-18-18, 10:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It's really hard to cut or do much with tile that's on the wall. Before pulling down the tile you could try working carefully with a Dremel tool or vibratory saw to see if you can neaten up the line. Save pulling the tile down for plan B.

Old 08-18-18, 10:22 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Cutting tile on the wall isn't going to work, you probably used a diamond blade wet saw so trying to cut with multi tool/dremel is t going to be very accurate.

Good thing is that nothing is permanate, pull off the tile, patch the backing and just start over.

A picture would help but as you mention something larger, and straighter, in the corners will help diffuse the pattern.

Old 08-18-18, 02:03 PM
I
I attached a couple of pictures one from each side of the the window. I am ok with the better one but not happy at all with the other one. the corner did not go straight down from the corner in the tile trim do need to do some work to make sure the tile laid straight. This involved extra thinset to build to build up the side closest to the window. Tried installing the detached corner slivers by hand and, obvious did not work out.

So, now that I know what doesn't work, what would be the best way to handle this type of corner when using small mosaic tile. if I had used larger tile, I am sure the results would have been better.

As always , appreciate everyones comments.

Attached Images   
Old 08-18-18, 02:22 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Actually I think it looks pretty good, the pattern lines up good for tile.

When you do a project you get focused on the details, anybody else simply over looks,

Possible a bead of caulk, grout colored, along the seam may soften the edge, just give it some time to soak in!

Old 08-19-18, 06:23 AM
I
Appreciate the positive comments. The line of caulk is probably worth a try.

Old 08-20-18, 06:59 PM
I
I was originally planning on the just the grout for th vertical seam. THe bead of chauk worked to perfection. The lighter chaulk actually looks etter that the dark grout line.
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: