12X24 tiles and warping

Old 11-02-18, 02:04 PM
12X24 tiles and warping

We've had quite a few issues with our bathroom tile floor. Our builder agreed to replace the tiles, yet there is still some lippage between multiple tiles. Nothing drastic, but enough to really feel it on your feet, especially bare feet. I find this really aggravating and unacceptable. The builder says that's it's because we have 12X24 tiles which are more prone to warping, which in turn results in the lippage. I bluntly asked, "So with 12X24 tiles, we can't expect to have a 100% even floor?" Nope. I feel I should also mention that they are using a metal lath and thinset method on OSB. There's apparently no way around that method.

Is this really prevalent? Is it unrealistic of me to expect an even transition from tile to tile with larger tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-18, 04:23 PM
12X24 tiles which are more prone to warping
Your builder is saying the tiles are warping?

You just made my day , tiles do not warp, installation is the issue!!!

using a metal lath and thinset method on OSB
Acceptable procedure is CBU (cement board) on the floors, he's feeding you a line!

Old 11-02-18, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
You need a new contractor.

Old 11-02-18, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
A careful tile layer would be able to lay those tile with minimal lippage. He's apparently not too careful.

The metal lathe and thinset is an old school method that predates cement board. Cement board is not the only way to prepare a floor for tile. Hope they are at least putting felt over the osb as a cleavage membrane.

Old 11-03-18, 01:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Going to side with the contractor. Cheap, large format tile is prone to warping in the manufacturing process. It is more prevalent in the thinner wide tiles (6 x 24) but will not rule out larger formats such as your 12x24. Easiest way to verify with a straight edge. Lay on the tiles and if it wobbles, then it is the tiles. If the tiles are flat then it is the installation. Have seen both, investigate which one it is. I've had issues with warp on 4 by 12 ceramic tiles. So not an uncommon problem.

Old 11-04-18, 09:28 AM
Sorry for the delayed response.

I wish we could get a new contractor AND insist on a different method of installation. However, the builder only does the metal lath and mortar method. I'm sure it's just a cost cutting measure. But there's no way around that unless I want to pay out of pocket.

The more I read, the more it seems the warping is at least plausible. I guess all I can do at this point is personally inspect all replacement tiles to verify that there is no, or at least very minimal warping to avoid lippage as much as possible.

Old 11-06-18, 12:03 PM
The method that your contractor is using "metal lath and thinset method on OSB" is not an acceptable installation method. It's commonly known as a "Jersey Mud Job" and has been known to fail more often than industry standard methods. Commonly, you might see cracked grout and cracked tile over a short period of time.

Tile that size may very well have some warpage. The contractor should have check this by dry laying tile on a flat surface in the desired pattern to check for warpage. He could have minimized the lippage by adjusting the tile to 1/3 offset instead of half. If the tile was really bad, he should have told you so and maybe even refused the job. Sounds like he just set the tile and hoped for the best.

Old 11-07-18, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why would anyone use tiles that large in a bathroom? Large tiles never look good in a small room. Besides, it is much easier to manage lippage in smaller tiles. And a jersey mud job has not been an acceptible way to install tiles for many years.