Thin set used to level

Old 11-19-18, 07:17 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thin set used to level

Hi there,

hoping you can help.
My dad is a DIY-Er without any real professional experience. Generally small projects (ie - laying laminate) is no problem.

well the concrete on my basement floor is extremely unlevel. I wanted to pour a self leveling concrete to even it out but my father insisted on a thin set and actually came over and did it while I was away.

one area is 4x4ft and he laid thin set over an inch deep. It is cracked and soft (like play doh). I knew this would happen and am furious he didn’t listen to me as this is a large area.

How can we fix this? Any ideas?

Old 11-19-18, 07:56 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Sounds like it would be easy to chisel it up since it is already cracking and soft. Make him tear it up

Old 11-19-18, 08:31 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Weather it's thin set or self leveling they are both concrete products.

The problem comes with the thickness. Generally thin set is not used beyond 1/4" where self leveling can go thicker.

IF it were done and had cured correctly I suspect it would be ok but the fact you are saying it's soft may just be due to the thickness and cure time!

Old 11-19-18, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
If it's not hard then it's not a concrete based thinset. Sounds like he used a premixed "mastic" thinset. Scrape it off.

Old 12-15-18, 01:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have used thinset to level smaller areas, but not more than about 1/4" deep and I add a latex bonder to the thinset.

you must completely remove the thinset on the floor. If you dont, the tiles wont stick.

take the time, do the work..or it will be a disaster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: