Tiling a sloped threshold

Old 11-29-18, 06:41 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling a sloped threshold

Hello-
I am looking for advice on how to slope tile for a threshold. This is for a flooring transition from tile in a dining room to bamboo flooring in a living room that has a 1/4" height difference. I need the floor to be barrier-free and as smooth a transition as possible for wheelchair usage. I removed a bulky wood threshold and want to replace it with small tile for a slightly sloped smooth transition. I plan to remove one row of existing tile to make the slope more gradual and will have about 7" to work with. My question is whether or not I can create the slope with thinset as it is only 1/4"? I have photos but am not sure how to post them on this site.

Old 11-29-18, 07:21 AM
Received 533 Votes on 493 Posts
First question, what are the thickness of each material you are working with?

Old 11-29-18, 02:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The tile is 1/4" and the bamboo flooring is 11/16".

Old 11-29-18, 04:24 PM
Received 533 Votes on 493 Posts
If I was doing this I would find a plastic rod that was 3/8 to 7/16 dia and run it the length of the opening up against the bamboo.

I would then lay a bed of mortar that slopes from zero depth at the tile side and using the rod as a guide to get the 3/8 to 7/16 depth.

After that dries just install the tile on the slope, grout and the transition should be smooth and solid!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: