Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Need some quick help & advice on installing listello tile transition!

Old 12-19-18, 08:02 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

So i got some nice listello tile to transition from our natural maple wood floors to our new large wood ceramic tile floor we're installing. I thought the installation would be the same as setting the large 8" x 24" wood ceramic tiles...boy, was that dumb.

These are the tiles: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Anatolia-Ti...-22-in/3510764

They site on a mesh similar to the cement board tape to keep the pieces a consistent distance from one another. I've tried setting them in a bed of modified mortar, but it hasn't gone well. Mortar comes up through the cracks and gets all over the pieces, the pieces sit at various heights.

The tiles were $10/ft, so I'm really trying to make them look nice...I just haven't found any good installation guides. Should I be using something other than mortar to install these as a floor transition?

Thanks for any tips.

Old 12-19-18, 08:10 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
This is usually installed on a wall, not a floor, but no reason why you cant install it on a floor. I'm guessing you used a large format thinset to install the larger tile. You'll need to use a regular modified thinset and a smaller trowel to set these. Also you may have to use something underneath the tile/thinset to bring this to the proper height possibly a strip of ditra. How much is the height difference?

Old 12-19-18, 09:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you have mortar squishing up too far between the tile pieces you are applying too much mortar and/or pushing the tiles in too deeply. As HeresJohnny mentioned you can apply other material to the floor to shim up to the thickness needed. Just make sure you use material appropriate for mortar and tile to adhere like Hardie Backer or cement board. If you need just a little more build-up you can scratch coat the area with thinset, let it firm up the apply your notched layer of thinset and set the tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: