Tips on large ceramic tile grout discoloration and sealing?

Old 01-06-19, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips on large ceramic tile grout discoloration and sealing?

Hi Guys,

I just did a large ceramic tile floor install using the Mapei Keracolor Charcoal Sanded Grout, and ran into an issue where some of the grout has dried a lighter color grey than the dark grey it was in other sections. The only difference that I could tell was the grout was thicker in the sections that appear lighter in color. In the areas where the grout was slightly thinner, it dried darker. It's confusing because if anything you'd think the 'thinner' application would be lighter? I did make the mistake of using white thinset instead of grey thinset under the grout, but cleaned out all the grout lines thoroughly to prep for the gout, so it really shouldn't have been an issue.

Is there anything I can do to darken the grout color to a darker grey (almost black) in the lighter areas without tearing everything out (which, yeah...not gonna happen, lol)?

I have 2 types of sealers I can apply, either the miracle sealants tiny 'squeeze/brush-on' applicator and the dupont water based spray on sealant.

Is one sealant recommended over the other or easier to apply? Would either help darken the grout color?

Lastly, how long do I have to wait to apply the sealant? I've seen everything from 48 hours to 30 days...and that includes what the manufacturer's say, lol...so color me confused.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-19, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Wait 72 hours before sealing. Some grout may take longer to cure so let is sit and re-evaluate after a couple of days. They do make grout "paint" in which you can brush on a coat to even things out, refer to the manufactuer of the grout to see if it is available. I doubt that the white mortar had anything to do with it. Just usually an improper mixing of the grout that causes variations in color.

Old 01-06-19, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10-4! Thanks for the quick response!