Locating discontinued tile

Old 05-24-01, 07:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am replacing a tub in a house built in the late 70's. The tile used on the walls is an off-white to biege color with tiny gold flecks. It was very popular 20 years ago, but I cannot find it anywhere now. I do not want to tear down all of the tile; I only want to replace those that I remove to replace the tub. If anyone has any idea where I can find these tiles (I'll need about 150 @ 4.25"), preferably in the Atlanta area, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 05-24-01, 12:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Discontinued tile

I recently had a customer who had the same problem. Instead of trying to match the existing discontinued tile, she chose to put a decorative border of two rows of tiles along top the tub. Her old tiles had the glitter look, too.
She was delighted when she spied the tiles with the flowers on them.

[Edited by twelvepole on 05-24-01 at 08:40]

Old 05-24-01, 04:57 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, generically we used to call it "gold fleck." I know of no one who currently makes it.

John

Old 05-24-01, 06:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Maple Leaf Ceramics in Canada still make that tile...the yellow background with the gold fleck is called"Oatmeal" and the white background with the gold Fleck is called "Topaz". You may find an Alpha Tile distributer in your area to see if they have samples...just in case they don't match your tile.

Old 05-25-01, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the replies... I'm trying to locate the "topaz" and "oatmeal" tiles; if unsuccessful, I'll have to go the "decorative" route. Not that it's such a bad choice, but it will be harder to make it look "original".

Old 05-25-01, 06:37 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob,

The sad fact is that even if you were to find the "original" tile, it wouldn't match the existing. It's just a fact of life.

Didn't know they were still making "oatmeal/gold fleck" in Canada. Being way down here by Mexico, I'm on the other end of NAFTA.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: