Remove leveling compound to free dishwasher!

Old 01-12-19, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove leveling compound to free dishwasher!

Bought an older home and the dishwasher gave out; turns out the previous owners tiled the kitchen and it is stuck! I got the tiles off but there is a good quarter inch at least of a leveling compound (I asked the previous homeowner, but don't have details beyond that). Trying to figure out how to get rid of it, especially as it is under the dishwasher so I only have about 2-3 inches of clearance at the edge. I have an angle grinder but when I used that and then tried to chisel it came off more like putty, i.e. not very quickly. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-19, 06:58 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Let's start at the beginning. Can you not lower the leveling legs of the DW? I assume he tilled up to the dishwasher but not under it.
How about a couple of pics showing the problem.

Old 01-12-19, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A typical problem when a new floor is just added on top of an old one. This method is much easier and cheaper than properly moving the appliances and flooring under them too.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-13-19, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Many get all excited at the prospect of tile and don't pay attention to the buildup of floor thickness. Best is to tile underneath the dishwasher so it doesn't get trapped but... when people don't do under the dishwasher it also means they didn't do under the cabinets. You might need to remove and shim up the base cabinets to get back the height needed under the counter for the dishwasher to slide in.

Old 01-14-19, 05:32 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Base cabinets must have a support piece at the top of the opening where the DW slides in/out. Any way to remove/cutback this support allowing removal of DW?